I was in Cameroon back in November 2017 and a friend of mine told me about this great Cameroonian Makeup Artist. I checked her gram and was absolutely seduced by her fierce looks, creative style and overall attention to details. I contacted her and she was so gracious and agreed to give us an interview. Get to learn the beautiful China Sukally in 17 questions.
1. One thing about you that few people know?
I am very shy. Weird I know but just the truth.
2. The first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning?
What will my day be like? (Secretly hoping it will be a lazy day)
3. Could you tell us about yourself?
I am Cameroonian and I live in Yaoundé. I speak both English and French fluently. I am a full time makeup-artist and I absolutely love my job. I love having everyone around me happy cause positivity is very important in all what we do in life.
4. How did your career begin in the world of beauty?
I was obsessed with watching makeup tutorials on YouTube. I then decided instead of just watching others do these things, why don’t I go for training and get some skills too? So yes, I went for a training in Nigeria with Bimpe Onakoya ( Maybelline Nigeria ) and obtained a certificate.
5. What is a day in the life of a makeup artist in Cameroon like?
A normal day in a makeup artist life will be either you have 1-2 clients or you just go ahead to a makeup tutorial.
6. What is your signature look?
NUDE! I love the nude makeup look. china
7. What is the most complicated look you have done so far?
Editorial looks are quite tricky because it is either too good or too odd. So I will say editorial looks.
8. What are your favorite cosmetics brands now ?
I love Maybelline, Estée Lauder, Nars, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Fenty beauty etc but I really don’t have a favorite brand because to me each brand has something special and different from the other one.
9. You are also a brand representative, could you name your most exciting project to date? Any upcoming projects?
My first makeup class will be soon so just be ready.
View this post on Instagram
Thank you for all the bday wishes. It was lit ❤️ 📸 @sswaggaholic 👗 @s.l_cameroun 💇 @nm_beauty_salon #junebaby #birthday #bdaymonth #2626 #depostyle #makeupforblackwomen makeupforblackwomen #melaninshow #melaninbeautiesunite #blackisbeautiful #undiscoveredmuas#Cameroon#baddies#makeupforblackwomen#melanin#dressyourface#glowedup #beautyvlogger #maquiladora #maquiagem #bellezaafricana #chictopia #beautyqueens4ever
10. Who is your beauty icon?
I will say Huda Kattan
11. What have you learnt from her?
You have to work hard in order to achieve your goals and always have fun in what you do.
12. What products do you use on your skin?
I mostly use Clear & Clean products. I have a super difficult skin.
13. How can we achieve the perfect natural look?
The perfect natural look goes with good brows, mascara or fake lashes it depends on you, foundation, a bit of contouring and highlighting then a nude gloss.
14. As a makeup Artist, you must come across women with different type of skin, what do you recommend to women whose skin is prone to acne?
A skin prone to acne should avoid using a whole lot of makeup. You should first take good care of your skin, the facials, drink a lot of water and be careful with what you use on your skin.
15. What would be your piece of advice to your 18-year-old self?
Never be in a haste because everything comes with time.
16. What is your morning beauty routine?
So for my teeth I use the charcoal toothpaste ( we all know how important a beautiful smile is), then I use the facial scrub from Clear & Clean, the brightening morning burst face wash too and then the brightening face oil.
View this post on Instagram
Last one 💞💞💞 #CameroonianMakeupBaddies#Cameroon#baddies#lipstick#swatch#swatches#lippies#makeupforblackwomen#melanin#makeupformelaningirls#dressyourface#glowedup #beautyvlogger #maquiladora #makeupforblackwomen #maquiagem #bellezaafricana #chictopia #beautyqueens4ever #mua237 #makeupformelaningirls #africanmua #makeupaddict #makeupgeek
17. What do you like the most about yourself ?
What I love the most about myself is the fact that I have a whole lot of love to give to others. I love love.